You are here


You want to use Adagp works in an audiovisual work (documentary, television film set, video clip, etc…) ?

The use of Adagp works in programmes for broadcast on French channels is generally covered by blanket agreements between Adagp and said channels (except Canal + and news channels).

However, you must declare the works used to us so we can inform you of any special conditions relating to their use.

If you want to obtain more extended use (cinema, broadcasting abroad, DVD production, showings at a festival), then you must submit a request for prior permission to us. For this, you can use the online form or send us an email :

If you are a user based abroad, please send your request to our relevant department which, depending on the country, will deal with it directly or pass it on to the sister company concerned.

Adagp also has an Image Bank which you can use to obtain HD (High Definition) files of 25,000 works by 1,500 artists for your projects. To ensure quality images, digital files are checked and validated by Adagp with the artists or their beneficiaries. With the Adagp Image Bank, you can obtain a digital image of the work at the same time as permission to use it under copyright.

I want to use or film an Adagp work, what do I have to do ?

You must send us a request for prior permission by using the online form or by sending your request to us at the following address: On receipt, Adagp processes your request and grants you official permission, indicating the conditions under which permission is given and for how long and the copyright details and confirming the royalties due.

For certain projects, we have to consult the artist or his/her beneficiaries in advance : use on home page, use of a detail, advertising etc, or in the case of the use of a large number of works for the same artist or a monograph publication. In this case, Adagp submits the layout of your project to the artist or his/her beneficiaries. This can obviously take some time which we ask you to take into account. So that we can handle your requests as efficiently as possible, please contact us well in advance of your project.

If the artist or his/her beneficiaries are in agreement, we will then grant you permission.

How to prepare your request for permission ?

To be able to handle your application, we need to receive the following information : 

- type of organisation,
- address of organisation and contact
- context of use (in particular advertising or corporate communication)
- monograph film or not 
- title of film/documentary…
- name of director
- pitch or complete synopsis for monograph use.
- artists and titles of works 
- media (television, Internet…)
- duration of use
- countries of use
- attach a layout if modifications are to be made to the original work.

If it is a DVD, indicate the number of copies.

To simplify the process, please use the on-line form (also accessible from the tool bar on the right of the screen).

For any further information, contact :

I have to deliver the film to my client : do I have to wait for permission from Adagp ?

Yes, because you are legally obliged to obtain our permission prior to any publication (ArticleL.122-4 of French intellectual property code).

We remind you that artists and their beneficiaries can exercise their non-pecuniary right at any time. Furthermore, there may be a third party right (person represented, name or brand name, title and slogan…). It is then your responsibility to obtain permission from such third parties when necessary prior to any reproduction.

I want to promote an exhibition or an event, do I have to pay royalties ?

You are completely free to promote news about a work or an artist. Television channels actually benefit from the instant information exception, called “exception d’actualité” which dispenses them from requesting permission and paying reproduction royalties if the work reproduced is the subject of a current event (e.g. : announcement and report on an exhibition, opening, etc.).

In practice :

- Adagp has signed agreements with nearly all French television channels with the exception of Canal + and news channels. So all you have to do is declare your uses to us so we can inform you of any special conditions that apply to the use of certain works
- for Canal +, news channels and web TVs, the first two works are exempt from royalties.

Why do I have to pay reproduction royalties when I've bought the file for the work from a photographic agency / image bank ?

Buying a photographic document on which a copyright protected work is reproduced does not release you from requesting permission from Adagp to reproduce this work. Your purchase only concerns the photographic rights.

Only Adagp is authorised to manage the reproduction rights relating to the work when the artist or his/her beneficiaries have entrusted their rights to Adagp.

When and on the basis of what amounts will I receive a royalty invoice ?

Invoices are issued after permission has been granted on the basis of our schedule.

Please send us your invoicing address if this is different from the one indicated on the permission.

Royalties are invoiced to you after you confirm that you agree to the terms of the permission but before the work concerned is first shown to the public.

Can I obtain a high definition image of the work I want to reproduce ?

Adagp has an Image Bank which currently holds 25,000 images. This collection can be viewed freely and at no charge at the following address:

To ensure quality images, digital files are checked and validated by Adagp with the artists or their beneficiaries.

If you are looking for an artist or a work you cannot find on the website, do not hesitate to contact us : Our team will try and get the file as soon as possible.

Get permission for use under copyright and the digital image of the work at the same time, remembering that :

- the photographic rights for providing the files will be invoiced to you by the Image Bank Department

- the royalties for the work will be invoiced to you by the departments concerned according to the mode of use

A Press Service (Gallery, Museum, etc.) has sent me “royalty-free” images : why do I have to submit a request ?

The statement “royalty-free” is misleading. It is commonly used to indicate the fact that the file containing the visual sent to you is free. However, this does not release you in any way whatsoever from requesting prior permission from Adagp for the reproduction of the work itself.

So you must systematically request permission from Adagp which is solely authorised to :

- manage the reproduction rights of the work and,
- inform you if its use comes under copyright or not.

Why do I have to make a prior request for permission and pay royalties for using a work when the owner has granted me the right to film it for free ?

You must not confuse the material ownership of a work or a digital file containing the image of this work with the copyrights that are invested in the artist or his/her beneficiaries.

If the work you want to reproduce belongs to the catalogue managed by Adagp, you will have to contact the Audiovisual Department to request permission.

What do I do if I want to film in a bulding or film a building protected by copyright ?

First of all, you will have to apply to the administrative department of the location concerned to get permission to carry out the filming. Then, you must contact the Audiovisual Department  to request permission.

The creator of the work I want to reproduce is not French, why do I have to go through Adagp ?

You have to go through Adagp when you are user based in France and the artist is mentioned in the list of artists managed by Adagp even if he/she is not French. Adagp manages an international catalogue through its reciprocal agency arrangements with almost 50 collecting societies on 5 continents.